Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Good news and not so good news.....

Tuesday, May 22, 2013:

I have currently been dealing with lots and lots of mouth blisters, swollen bottom lip and my tongue actually peels!!  I have also had a recurring and bothersome back ache and headache daily since the last treatment.  I occasionally break out with what appears to be the measles on my arms.  My skin looks strange.  It has an odd color to it.  I thin it all has to do with my liver.  There is no telling what all this chemo is doing to my internal organs.  I just hope they don't become permanently damaged.  Lord help me if it does.  Keep my in your prayers and I miss you all.  Now for more details.....

Last Thursday Wayne and I went to an appointment with Dr. Bebb my surgeon, for a sonogram of my tumor,  The sonographer (if that is what they are called) searched and searched but could not locate the tumor.  She finally found a place that she thought might be the spot but was not sure.  She got the doctor and he did the same thing, searching and searching,  He finally located the spot and in his words said he was 'ecstatic'.  He said that the oncologist was trying to put him out of business.  My tumor started out at 2 cm and is now 5 mm or went from about 1.5 inches to 1/8 inches in dia.  He said I was responding exceptionally well to the chemo.  He then said that the next step after my last chemo treatment would be to have my surgery.  This would be 4 weeks after the last treatment.  He said that he would be doing a lumpectomy and asked if we had talked about a breast lift.  I said not really so he proceeded to tell me that in addition to the lumpectomy he would be removing 15 lymph nodes from under my right armpit.  On this I balked and questioned why so many, that he had only found one lymph node involved.  His reply was yes he had biopsied one lymph node but he did see a problem with others.  I still questioned why so many and he sat down and said he didn't know how to say it but that when I came into his office the first time I was 'circling the drain' (this was something I never knew) and that now the chemo had done so well that the 'drain' was now plugged and the basin was filling back up with water and I was now swimming.  He said to ensure that we got all the cancer and ensure I did not have to worry about this in the future he needed to take out the 15 lymph nodes.  He went back to talking about a breast lift.  It was his recommendation that I have a lift because if I did not then where the lymph nodes drained that there was a strong likelihood that my right breast could end up swelling to the size of a football.  By lifting my breasts it would help with the drainage and I should not have any problems.  During the surgery they will put a couple of tubes to help with drainage while I am healing.  I will also have to wear a special corset type bra until I heal and have physical therapy to keep from losing any function in my arm.  In addition to all this I will have to have radiation 5 days a week for 4 to 6 weeks.  The radiation won't happen until 6 weeks or so after my surgery.  The surgery itself should take about 3 hours but I will be in the hospital for several hours.  I may have to stay overnight depending on how long it takes to coordinate everything.  There is a marker in my breast marking where the tumor is.  I will have an x-ray and they will place a wire into my breast so the doctors can go directly to the tumor.  So, it looks as though it is going to be a longer road than I had thought.  I have been dealing with a lot of anger over the weekend after getting all this information.  I was thinking....o.k. I have two more treatments and then a little surgery and I will be done.  NOT!  Now it will be about mid October, November before I will be done with all this.  I have gotten past the anger and realize I don't have any choice but to forge ahead.  It is what it is. 

We went to the plastic surgeon on Monday and he went into the details as to how he would perform the lift.  We asked all kinds of questions and will go back to see him a week prior to the surgery so he can take photos and I think he said he was going to draw on my chest.  Not sure if it will be then or later.  Whatever, right?  Hahaha.  OMG!

My good buddy, Patti made it through her hiking trip o.k. and I was happy to hear from her when she got back.  I am proud of you girl.  I know it was a tough hike.

Later.

Glenda

No comments:

Post a Comment