Saturday, July 27, 2013

I am doing very well since my surgery.....

Saturday, July 27, 2013:

It has been 5 days since my surgery and I am doing very well.  I have some discomfort where all the stitches are under my breast and on the right side of my body under my arm where the drainage tube comes out of my body.  I have only needed a Tylenol during the day for a couple of days.  By the time I am ready for bed my right side has begun to irritate me quite a bit so I take one Oxycodone and go to bed.  It has helped me sleep really well up until last night.  It was a toss and turn sleep all night.  I am not supposed to sleep on my side but last night I did lay on my left side and all seems o.k.  Sometimes when I am standing I feel little pin prick type stings under my right arm.  Not sure what that is.  I begin physical therapy for my right arm this Tuesday.  This is to help regain strength and mobility and to keep lymphedema at bay.  I have been having some strange things happening to my fingernails in the past couple of weeks.  From my first chemo treatment I had a brown stripe appear on my left thumb.  It goes from the bottom of my nail to the tip.  Now I am having stripes show up on other fingernails.  All of the nails have little ridges (like ripples).  There is one ripple for every chemo treatment.  I was told it would go away as my nails grow out.  My nails are very tender.  I was trying to untie a knot in a  plastic grocery bag and could not do it because it felt like my nail would come off.  They are not 'lifting' off the nail bed as some chemo patients have had happen.  I have cut them very short to prevent snagging them on anything and causing them to pull off.  Wow!  That would hurt.  The bottoms of my feet are numb and my fingertips to the first joint are numb (more side effects that will go away in time).  I am eating well and sweet things still taste overly sweet to the point of being sickening.  I have lost some eyelashes and eyebrow hairs.  They are not as dark and thick.  I can't tell that my hair is growing any at all.  Still feels like a days growth of a man's beard.  There are a few spots about the size of the tip of my pinky that have no hair whatsoever.  I have not been completely bald. There has always been stubble.  I can see little hairs coming back on my arms.

 
Right thumb.  Dark brown stripe.  It is actually darker than it appears in photo.
 
 
So, all is well and I will update this blog later next week after all my doctor's appointments.
God has blessed me throughout this whole ordeal and I am very thankful.  It could have been so much worse.
 
Hugs,
Glenda


No comments:

Post a Comment