Tuesday, July 16, 2013

One more week until surgery.....

Tuesday, July 16, 2013:

Hello everyone! 

 
This is my brother, Steve.  When I first cut my hair I said that I looked like him.  What do you think?
I never thought I would be glad I didn't have any hair but as hot as it is right now....I am glad!
 


Just to update you on my current state of health, I am steadily regaining my strength and stamina.  I have been able to eat more and nutrition is something I needed very much.  Instant mashed potatoes just don't get the job done!  My taste buds are still a little 'off' the mark but nothing like it was, thank goodness.  Smells don't seem to bother me anymore.  I still have a few side effects such as runny nose, dry mouth, dry eyes, white tongue and back ache.  The strange thing about the back ache was it didn't start until 3 weeks AFTER my last treatment.  I kept the back ache the whole 3 weeks after my 5th treatment then after the 6th (last) treatment it went away only to come back.  The only medication I am taking is Tylenol as needed for my back ache.

I am in the countdown mode until my surgery which is scheduled for 9 a.m., Tuesday, July 23 at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.  I had a pre surgery consultation a week ago with the plastic surgeon, Dr. Kays who will be working in concert with my general surgeon, Dr. Bebb.  They will be doing a lumpectomy of the right breast and will remove 15 lymph nodes.  They will also do a breast lift on both breasts.  This was recommended because I would be at risk of poor drainage of the lymphatic system which could drain into my right breast and cause it to swell to the size of a football (lymphedema).  By doing a lift it will help my lymphatic system to have better drainage.  I have nooooo problem with them doing a breast lift!  Hahahaha.  They will be doing an Anchor Mastopexy.  Here is an animated video of how the procedure is done:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDg4xEeH3UE    The surgery should take about 5 hours although I will be carted here and there for other things to be done to me prior to the actual surgery.  They told Wayne he will be there all day.  They will insert a drainage tube (or 2) in the area of my lymph node removal and the tube extends outside my body for several inches and drains into a bulb at the end of the tube.  The bulb will be pinned to the front of my shirt.  Where the tube exits my body, it will be sutured to my skin to keep it in place.  Twice a day either Wayne or I (if I am able) will milk the tube to drain the fluid into the bulb then pour it into a small cup with measurements on it.  We have to keep a log of how much fluid is removed.  I will be wearing a compression bra for at least 2 weeks.  I am a stomach sleeper but have to sleep on my back in a reclined position.  Not sure how long this will last.  Most likely I will have to go to physical therapy to ensure I maintain my arm strength and mobility and also to prevent lymphedema.  During my recovery phase I will be going to see a radiologist to see how many radiation treatments they want me to have and to get an understanding of what all that will entail.  I was told that 6 weeks after my surgery I would be able to start radiation treatments which would put me into the first week or so of September.  I have heard differing comments from folks about how radiation will affect me.  Some say it's pretty bad, some say it's nothing to it, others say it makes you tired.  Who knows?  Guess it's like everything else in the process.   I'll have to wait and see.

Just want to give a big 'I miss you' to all my friends at work.  Thanks for the prayers, calls and visits.  You mean the world to me.

Hugs,

Isaiah 40:29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.

Glenda

No comments:

Post a Comment