Sunday, March 24, 2013

The time came.......news.....

This is me and our hound mix 'Meathead'
 
 
This picture was taken yesterday, Saturday March 23.  I have a full head of hair.  This is my (our) sweet, sweet Meathead who was dumped in the neighborhood when she was a pup.   She allowed my sister, Wanda to take a photo of the two of us.  She has been the 'neighborhood' dog from the moment we took her in.  She would walk with all the neighbors and if there were children in strollers she would walk next to the stroller and guard the child.  She would not let any other dogs get anywhere close to the child.  Once the children got older and started riding bike she would go with them and do the same thing, keeping other dogs from getting close to them.  She has been a blessing to a lot of people in our neighborhood and I could not have asked for a better dog.  She is about 13 now and is slow to get up but overall she is still in good shape. 
 
Now for the news:
 
Friday morning while I was getting ready for work I found my scalp to be very sore.  I had to be very gentle while drying it.  During the day the soreness went away.  But, when I went to bed, every place my hair touched my pillow it felt like I was lying down on top of a bristle brush and it hurt!  I managed to get a good night's sleep and when I got up my scalp was sooooo sore that in order to wash it I had to pour the shampoo over my hair and just let the water run through it.  I didn't dare touch my head.  I had to do the same with the conditioner.  I knew the time was here that my hair would begin to fall out.  All day I left my hair alone and did not dare touch it.  I talked to Wayne and asked him if he was ready to give me a haircut.  He said he was ready if I was.  Later I started pulling on my hair to check it and it was coming out by the handfull.  I waited until about 5 o'clock and took my hair clippers out to the garage where Wayne was working Wanda's truck.  We set up in the driveway to keep the hair out of the garage.  I have got to tell you that places where he was clipping my hair was very tender.  When he was done I got into the shower and shaved my head.  It was not a traumatic experience at all, contrary to how I have heard it might be.  I guess everybody is different.  The biggest thing is my head is freezing!  I am not having any success uploading the video so here are a few photos.....
 
 
 
Before haircut

 
 
 
 
 
After Haircut before shave
 
 
 
A couple of things I am thankful for:  Small ears otherwise I might resemble Dumbo, having ears, how else would I keep my glasses on?  Hahahaha.  Really, though.  I have so much to be thankful for.  I would like to ask that you put Yogi (Yogesh) Shah on your prayer list.  He is my friend and neighbor and has been fighting the cancer battle for a couple of years.  His struggle is so much more difficult than mine and he feels very bad most of the time yet he has tremendous compassion for me and will call me just to lift my spirits.  I want so much to help him and his wife Kim who is his sole caregiver.  Pray for her also, for strength to continue caring for him.  She is an angel on earth who thinks of everyone but herself.
 
 This is the inside of my left elbow.  If you can enlarge the photo or zoom in, you can see the incision and the stitches.  This is where they put in the portocath.  The magic marker numbers have something to do with the length of the 'tube' that runs from the portocath, inside my vein to my heart.   They inject the chemo directly into the portocath.  The bruising is mostly gone.
 


 
My Mom and Dad at the hospital shortly before Mom went in for back surgery.
 
 
Later you all!
 
Glenda


No comments:

Post a Comment